Wednesday, February 3, 2016

I Don't Have to Wonder if It's the Right Work

There are times when I wake in the night and find myself wondering about what's best for kids in our schools.  Too much technology or not enough?  Too much assessment or just the wrong kinds?  Too much discussion about standards or not yet enough?

However, when it comes to Deeper Learning, I don't have to wonder if it's the right work.  I know that I know that I know it.  Kids at the center, teachers as facilitators, messiness and creativity and persistence and personalization.  That's everything RIGHT about today's educational innovation.  Take a few minutes to watch the Sioux City kids in this video.  Look at their eyes, notice their interactions with each other and study the learning environments

Oh, and don't worry.  These Middle School exploratory courses have plenty of technology; it's essential to the work that kids are doing.  We do assess; we use rubrics to measure growth in communication, creativity, critical thinking and accountability--all based on the Iowa Core standards for Middle School students.  So, maybe I should spend less time wondering about the right work for schools, and more time celebrating the student-centered innovation happening both in our district and in hundreds of others across the nation.  Deeper Learning.  I know that I know that I know.